Press RoomPublished 10/14/2013
Role of Media
Research shows that irresponsible coverage of suicide in the news increases the rates of suicide, especially among youth. And, that coverage of mental illness often misleads the public into believing there is a strong link between mental illness and violence.
Forefront media initiative
Forefront’s media initiative is designed to improve public understanding of suicide prevention, mental health, hope and recovery by providing Washington State journalists, organizations and individuals with the tools for accurate and responsible reporting.
- Offers journalists sources, recommendations and best practices through online resources, personal contact and training.
- Honors accurate in-depth journalism that improves public understanding of mental health and suicide with a $500 award for outstanding mental health and suicide reporting.
- Equips a statewide coalition of community members to respond to news coverage of suicide and mental illness and to communicate effectively with news organizations.
- Provides guidance on how to report accurately and responsibly on events involving mental illness and suicide.
- Produces high-quality feature stories on suicide and mental health.
- Provides personal & professional perspectives on news and policy related to mental health and suicide prevention.